Mar 26, 2008
SOE Announces Lineup of Activities at Comic-Con 2008
A Weekend of Web-Slinging, Swashbuckling, Fantasy and Mythological Adventure, plus the Return of an Old-Fashioned Block Party
With over 100,000 fans descending on America’s Finest City for the 2007 San Diego Comic-Con International, Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) and Sony Pictures Imageworks are joining forces for a blockbuster lineup of activities, including new games, panel discussions, autograph sessions and a behind the scenes look at what goes on in a game development studio.
Comic-Con attendees will get to preview some of SOE’s hottest upcoming games, including:
- Pirates of the Burning Sea – Sample swashbuckling action and ship to ship combat on the high seas against the backdrop of the 18th Century New World. Players can also register for access to the closed beta for the game.
- Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising™ – Command the powers of the Gods and recruit custom minions including creatures of myth as you battle to save Rome. Currently in closed beta, fans can also register for the chance to get in the beta version of the game.
- High Stakes on the Vegas Strip Poker Edition – High rollers at the convention will be able to play against other card sharks online in the first downloadable poker game for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.
SOE’s Denver studio will be on hand with their latest online trading card games:
- Stargate Online Trading Card Game – Gamers can get in on the “Learn to Play” promotion for this online trading card game based on MGM’s hit Sci-Fi TV series.
- Pirates Constructible Strategy Game (CSG) Online – Get in on more swashbuckling action in this online version of WizKids’ popular constructible strategy game of piracy and plunder.
Fans will also get to see the latest happenings in that popular “galaxy far far away,” Star Wars Galaxies™. SOE will debut the latest addition to the expertise system available to all players, the Beastmaster. While supplies last, show visitors can pick up SOE’s new “Station.com” t-shirts and enjoy some other great activities. Booth visitors will also receive invitations to the 2nd Annual SOE Block Party at SOE’s San Diego headquarters on Saturday July 28 for an afternoon of food, games, private tours, hands-on demos and more great SOE swag. There will be free shuttle service to and from the venue located in front of the San Diego Convention Center.
On Thursday, July 26 at 5:15pm, Sony Pictures Imageworks will present “Spider-Man™ 3: Triple Threat.” During the session, the creative core of the SPIDER-MAN™ 3 visual effects team, Senior Visual Effects Supervisor Scott Stokdyk, Digital Effects Supervisors Ken Hahn and Peter Nofz, and Animation Supervisor Spencer Cook will reveal the most challenging technical achievements that arose while creating the triple threat of the movie’s three dangerous villains – New Goblin, Venom and Sandman.
For its ground-breaking work in SPIDER-MAN 3, the Imageworks team created fully articulated, CG characters entirely composed of dynamically generated particles and fluids. These digital characters, which embodied key-framed performance animation, interacted both with each other and with live action characters in real and synthetic environments throughout the film. Stokdyk, Nofz, Hahn and Cook, who have all worked on the entire Spider-Man trilogy are coming to Comic Con to discuss the amazing imagery they created to bring these legendary characters to life.
Prior to the SPIDER-MAN 3 panel, from 2:00-4:00 pm in the Sony booth, the VFX team will be on hand for a special book sale and signing session of The Spider-Man Chronicles: The Art and Making of Spider-Man 3.
On Friday, from 2:00-4:00 pm, artists from the SURF’S UP Animation team will be in the Sony booth for a special book sale and signing session of Surf’s Up: The Art and Making of a True Story.
SOE and Imageworks will be in Booth #4419 in the San Diego Convention Center.