Publisher: D3Publisher of America, Inc. (D3PA)
Developer: Vicious Cycle
N Amer - 08/28/2007
D3PA Announces E3 Line-up
The company’s line-up includes titles based on popular entertainment brands
John C. McGinley to voice main character in D3Publisher's upcoming Dead
“Scrubs” Actor to Add Star Power to D3PA’s Head-Swapping Third Person-Action Game
D3Publisher to bring "twisted noir" to PSP with Dead Head Fred
Innovative, original third person-action game from Vicious Cycle set in a world where the blue plate special is murder and corruption with a side-dish of revenge.
D3Publisher of America Announces Solid E3 2006 Line-Up
Featuring Titles Based on Top-Selling Entertainment Brands and Original Intellectual Properties
D3Publisher of America to Bring ‘Twisted Noir’ to PSP with Dead Head Fred
Innovative, Original Third Person-Action Game From Vicious Cycle Set in a World Where the Blue Plate Special is Murder and Corruption With a Side-Dish of Revenge
A unique 3rd person-action game created exclusively for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), Dead Head Fred draws players into an original 1940’s inspired alternative universe where players will experience an innovative and refreshing twist on Action gameplay as they collect, upgrade and switch the heads of enemies on the fly to strategically fight enemies in a story of revenge and redemption. As private detective Fred Neuman, savagely murdered and then resurrected in a bizarre scientific experiment without his memory or his head, players embark on a quest for vengeance as they solve their own murder by using the severed heads of enemies to battle their way through challenging but bizarre environments. Each of the 9 different heads offer a unique gameplay mechanic as players utilize special tactics and puzzle-solving to strategically progress through the game. Players embark on missions and mini-games to increase powers and attacks by acquiring new heads and collect money to purchase more upgrades to battle malformed mutants, ghoulish gangsters, and maniacal mob bosses.
- Original Storyline Exclusively On The PSP System – Geared for the single-player experience, Dead Head Fred offers the most compelling and completely original storyline to date with “twisted noir” humor and violence in a portrayal of revenge and redemption in an artistically unique environment unlike anything before on the PSP system.
- Dynamic Camera Revolutionizes Action Gameplay – Dead Head Fred revolutionizes the gameplay experience on the PSP system by offering a dynamic camera that immerses players in the action without having to control a manual camera.
- Head Mechanic Offers An Innovative And Refreshing Twist On Action Gameplay – Each of the 9 collectible heads offer unique gameplay mechanics as players switch heads on the fly to explore new ways to progress through the game.
- Novel Combat Moves – Experience unique combat moves, including head-pound, nut-punch, head-hunting, combos and more as you slaughter enemies in multiple ways by severing heads with your bare hands, shooting them with poison darts, irradiating them into goo, or slicing them into ribbons and more!
- Unique Blend Of Platform and Action Adventure Genres – The action adventure allows players to battle enemies on large and small scales to utilize the attributes of each head and the open-ended gameplay allows for creative problem solving with multiple ways to approach every challenge.
- Upgradeable Powers – Embark on epic missions that increase your powers and attacks by acquiring new heads and collect money to purchase more upgrades or additional jars to store the severed heads of enemies.
- Explore Expansive Environments – Dead Head Fred’s HUB system allows players to fly, gas, smash, battle and more through the expansive, danger-ridden town of Hope Falls or in outlying areas such as Creepy Hallow, Pitt’s Power Plant, and Freak Farms in the order they choose and return to find new and hidden enemies.
- Bonus Side Missions, Mini-Games, And Activities – Bonus content offers players extensive replayability through side missions, mini-games and activities such as Consensual Sax, The Gran Ratismo, Dirty Pool, Head 2 Head Pinball, and The Feather Doom.
Steven Hopper - 06/26/2007
The game combines a quirky noir narrative laden with dark comedy with some cool gameplay elements, making it an inventive, original title for Sony’s handheld.